Friday, February 10
hello friday
I wrote this last Friday.
2:15 on an overcast afternoon at the beginning of February. Soon, I have to go to work. But first, I am making an effort at writing something. Anything. Anything at all. It’s supposed to be my real work, and yet it’s not working. Nothing is coming. It’s 2:15 on an overcast afternoon at the beginning of February, and I’ve got nothing. The cat is sitting at attention, staring out the window. Tom Petty is playing on the stereo.
She’d never look different, but something would change.
The funny thing is that when I’m on my way to or from work, sitting on the bus, or walking down McGill, or the long, narrow staircase between McGill and Sahali Centre, I can think of oodles of things to write. The bus lends a sense of profundity that I just don’t get sitting on the couch, even while listening to Tom Petty. And that long narrow staircase? Given that I am usually descending it after dark, it just plain old gives me the heebie jeebies, which has always led to good writing ideas. It’s like the thing where if I start thinking about creepy things and my foot is hanging over the edge of the bed, I have to pull it back. Lest something reach out and grab it at the darkest hour of the night.
Reasons I Like The Cars:
1.They’re one of the few good things to come out of the 80s.
2.They rock.
3.They remind me of cruising down the lake at 4am on hot August nights.
4.Is there a cooler phrase in the world than “let the good times roll” a la The Cars? Didn’t think so.
5.The quintessential fabulousness of the song “My Best Friend’s Girlfriend”. Drooool.
6.The album cover of The Cars The Cars. Very cool.
7.Their name. Awesome. Simple.
Since I gave you reasons I like Tom Petty, I might as well give you Good Tom Petty Songs:
1.Learning to Fly
2.Into the Great Wide Open
3.Zombie Zoo
4.A Mind With A Heart of Its Own
5.Yer So Bad
6.Last Dance With Mary Jane
7.Runnin’ Down a Dream
And, Good Songs by The Cars:
1. My Best Friend’s Girlfriend
2. Let’s Go
3. Let the Good Times Roll4. Moving in Stereo
5. Hello Again
6. Candy-O
7. Bye Bye Love
8. Shake It Up
|
2:15 on an overcast afternoon at the beginning of February. Soon, I have to go to work. But first, I am making an effort at writing something. Anything. Anything at all. It’s supposed to be my real work, and yet it’s not working. Nothing is coming. It’s 2:15 on an overcast afternoon at the beginning of February, and I’ve got nothing. The cat is sitting at attention, staring out the window. Tom Petty is playing on the stereo.
She’d never look different, but something would change.
The funny thing is that when I’m on my way to or from work, sitting on the bus, or walking down McGill, or the long, narrow staircase between McGill and Sahali Centre, I can think of oodles of things to write. The bus lends a sense of profundity that I just don’t get sitting on the couch, even while listening to Tom Petty. And that long narrow staircase? Given that I am usually descending it after dark, it just plain old gives me the heebie jeebies, which has always led to good writing ideas. It’s like the thing where if I start thinking about creepy things and my foot is hanging over the edge of the bed, I have to pull it back. Lest something reach out and grab it at the darkest hour of the night.
Reasons I Like The Cars:
1.They’re one of the few good things to come out of the 80s.
2.They rock.
3.They remind me of cruising down the lake at 4am on hot August nights.
4.Is there a cooler phrase in the world than “let the good times roll” a la The Cars? Didn’t think so.
5.The quintessential fabulousness of the song “My Best Friend’s Girlfriend”. Drooool.
6.The album cover of The Cars The Cars. Very cool.
7.Their name. Awesome. Simple.
Since I gave you reasons I like Tom Petty, I might as well give you Good Tom Petty Songs:
1.Learning to Fly
2.Into the Great Wide Open
3.Zombie Zoo
4.A Mind With A Heart of Its Own
5.Yer So Bad
6.Last Dance With Mary Jane
7.Runnin’ Down a Dream
And, Good Songs by The Cars:
1. My Best Friend’s Girlfriend
2. Let’s Go
3. Let the Good Times Roll4. Moving in Stereo
5. Hello Again
6. Candy-O
7. Bye Bye Love
8. Shake It Up
