Monday, July 4
ferries, coasts and a lot of water.
Well, I've returned in one piece after taking the ferry. That seems like a good thing.
I was at my great aunt and uncle's cabin on Nelson Island, along the Sunshine Coast, for the weekend. We left Thursday evening, the day of the infamous ferry disaster, and got to the ferry terminal at 2am, and waited in line until they started moving people at 5am, finally got on the ferry around 7am, and were off to Langdale. I took some pictures of where the ferry crashed, but there wasn't much left to be seen. They did a pretty quick cleanup job. I had the most disgusting muffin I have ever eaten on that ferry. And that's saying something after being up all night. The ferry arrived in Langdale 40 minutes later and we hit McDonald's, then took off for Pender Harbour. When we got there, we had to wait over an hour for the water taxi, since the ocean was too rough for my uncle to pick us up. I almost got seasick on the taxi, it was kinda funny. The driver was really cool, lives in Honduras part time. By the time he dropped us off at my great aunt and uncle's place on Nelson Island, it felt like dinner time, but it wasn't even noon.
My uncle took us on a bay tour later in the day, and we did the lunch and dinner thing. Their "cabin" is what the vast majority would call a house, and is run on solar power. It's pretty cool. They took us over to this other guy's place, they call it the stone house, and it looks like a freakin' castle. He's been building this place for 25 years and is about half done. It's covered in stone and absolutely gorgeous. By the time he's done, it'll be worth well over a million. I think it'd probably be worth that right now. It's crazy.
The next day, we spread my grandma's ashes and had our little ceremony. After that we went out in the boat to check the prawn traps that had been set the night before, then returned to the cabin for lunch--which involved fresh prawns. We stayed for awhile longer, then were taken back to Pender Harbour and drove back to catch the ferry. We got into Vancouver around 9 and had dinner at Las Margaritas, an awesome Mexican place on West 4th. After that we finally headed home, and got here at 3:15 Sunday morning.
So that was my weekend at the Sunshine Coast and my ferry adventure, which was less of an adventure after the ferry crash than you might think.
I've got some pictures which I will post when I get them on the computer. I can't really think of anything else at the moment, so if I do, that will be a later post.
|
I was at my great aunt and uncle's cabin on Nelson Island, along the Sunshine Coast, for the weekend. We left Thursday evening, the day of the infamous ferry disaster, and got to the ferry terminal at 2am, and waited in line until they started moving people at 5am, finally got on the ferry around 7am, and were off to Langdale. I took some pictures of where the ferry crashed, but there wasn't much left to be seen. They did a pretty quick cleanup job. I had the most disgusting muffin I have ever eaten on that ferry. And that's saying something after being up all night. The ferry arrived in Langdale 40 minutes later and we hit McDonald's, then took off for Pender Harbour. When we got there, we had to wait over an hour for the water taxi, since the ocean was too rough for my uncle to pick us up. I almost got seasick on the taxi, it was kinda funny. The driver was really cool, lives in Honduras part time. By the time he dropped us off at my great aunt and uncle's place on Nelson Island, it felt like dinner time, but it wasn't even noon.
My uncle took us on a bay tour later in the day, and we did the lunch and dinner thing. Their "cabin" is what the vast majority would call a house, and is run on solar power. It's pretty cool. They took us over to this other guy's place, they call it the stone house, and it looks like a freakin' castle. He's been building this place for 25 years and is about half done. It's covered in stone and absolutely gorgeous. By the time he's done, it'll be worth well over a million. I think it'd probably be worth that right now. It's crazy.
The next day, we spread my grandma's ashes and had our little ceremony. After that we went out in the boat to check the prawn traps that had been set the night before, then returned to the cabin for lunch--which involved fresh prawns. We stayed for awhile longer, then were taken back to Pender Harbour and drove back to catch the ferry. We got into Vancouver around 9 and had dinner at Las Margaritas, an awesome Mexican place on West 4th. After that we finally headed home, and got here at 3:15 Sunday morning.
So that was my weekend at the Sunshine Coast and my ferry adventure, which was less of an adventure after the ferry crash than you might think.
I've got some pictures which I will post when I get them on the computer. I can't really think of anything else at the moment, so if I do, that will be a later post.
