Monday, May 9
no dress rehearsal, this is our life.
This morning, I was surfing around reading certain blogs that I read (I have to admit, I have a few links that I keep to myself...). I landed in Indeterminacy's comments section and found a link to another blog--PostSecret--so I went there. I suggest you all go there too. It's amazing. People make their own postcards, write secrets on them, and send them in. It reminded me of Kelly, earlier in the semester, trying to get everyone to tell her secrets for that little white lies story she was doing. It's anonymous, but some of the stuff people admit to....
Take, for instance, this one. That's the one that stands out the most to me. Some of the other ones are pretty up there, but that one takes the cake.
I have to wonder: why? Did he/she leave an entire family behind, or were they basically alone in the world? Looking for something better? What is he/she doing now, and where? Was it hard? And how many people may have done the same thing, knowing so many might never be found--what a perfect opportunity to disappear and begin an entirely new existence. A few new pieces of ID later and your old life is gone--so much dust on the streets of New York. You could go anywhere--or stay close to where you were if you changed your appearance. You could change your entire personality. Style. Career. Everything. It would be wild.
Yet still--what was so terrible about that person's life that they abandoned everything they had?
I was discussing this with Leah and she said, "or maybe it wasn't that it was terrible - maybe it was just so mind-numbingly boring that they couldn't stand it any longer."
But isn't that terrible in its own way?
Why did that person leave everything--absolutely everything? You would have to--you couldn't go back to your place and get anything, because you're supposed to be dead, and someone would notice. Maybe he/she owed money to the mob--big money. Or maybe just a lot of money owed to a bank or something. Maybe someone was trying to kill them anyway, and it was the easiest way out. Maybe the person's life was really that boring. Maybe they were living some kind of secret double-life and took it as a way out. Maybe they were seeking something new, something better, and took a chance. The possibilities are endless.
Any other theories out there?
~Currently playing: The Rolling Stones-Jumpin' Jack Flash; The Tragically Hip-Ahead by a Century; Bob Marley-I Shot the Sheriff~
|
Take, for instance, this one. That's the one that stands out the most to me. Some of the other ones are pretty up there, but that one takes the cake.
I have to wonder: why? Did he/she leave an entire family behind, or were they basically alone in the world? Looking for something better? What is he/she doing now, and where? Was it hard? And how many people may have done the same thing, knowing so many might never be found--what a perfect opportunity to disappear and begin an entirely new existence. A few new pieces of ID later and your old life is gone--so much dust on the streets of New York. You could go anywhere--or stay close to where you were if you changed your appearance. You could change your entire personality. Style. Career. Everything. It would be wild.
Yet still--what was so terrible about that person's life that they abandoned everything they had?
I was discussing this with Leah and she said, "or maybe it wasn't that it was terrible - maybe it was just so mind-numbingly boring that they couldn't stand it any longer."
But isn't that terrible in its own way?
Why did that person leave everything--absolutely everything? You would have to--you couldn't go back to your place and get anything, because you're supposed to be dead, and someone would notice. Maybe he/she owed money to the mob--big money. Or maybe just a lot of money owed to a bank or something. Maybe someone was trying to kill them anyway, and it was the easiest way out. Maybe the person's life was really that boring. Maybe they were living some kind of secret double-life and took it as a way out. Maybe they were seeking something new, something better, and took a chance. The possibilities are endless.
Any other theories out there?
~Currently playing: The Rolling Stones-Jumpin' Jack Flash; The Tragically Hip-Ahead by a Century; Bob Marley-I Shot the Sheriff~
