Friday, February 11
four years is longer than i thought.
Somehow my first year of college doesn't seem that long ago. But when I started looking through my old files on this baby half an hour ago, I realized that it *was* that long ago. I started out specifically looking for a very cool poem I wrote at the request of a friend (wasn't sure if it was on the laptop or not). I found it, and was still taken with it. Then I continued searching the files, where I found another poem that brought back memories so real I could almost taste them.
That's right, I found the infamous "Un-ode to a Ketchup Chip" poem that I wrote as a mockery and ended up submitting for my first-year (first semester!) creative writing class that week for lack of something better. Creative writing was a struggle for me--I never really understood why and maybe never will, because when I don't have to hand something in for it, I can do it just fine...but for class? Forget it. Anyways, back to the poem. It stems from my hatred, disgust and abhorrence of ketchup and thus ketchup chips. In creative writing class, Leah would sit on one side of me and Robyn would sit on the other. Leah and I had our trademark blue slurpees (that turned our mouths blue!) but each of them also had a bag of ketchup chips. The smell made me want to hurl. They loved it. Every second of it. So one day, we were sitting up in the student lounge, they were eating their disgusting chips, and I wrote the infamous poem. The creative writing class loved it, and was divided on the true merit of said chips. I also found a very cool thing I wrote about the civic arena last year and the beginning of something about a hockey tournament. Below, for your viewing pleasure, is the poem. Oh--and it's called 'un-ode' because an ode is written for something you like.
Un-Ode to a Ketchup Chip
For Robyn, Kat and Rusty
What can I say about you,
Abhorrent ketchup chip?
Simulated flavour.
All it is
Is fake red dust
Coating fingers
And crunchy cardboard
Pieces of preserved[?] potato.
Yuck.
Pungent, pukey aroma
Permeates surrounding space,
Drifts upwards
Forming
A ketchup scented halo.
Gag me.
Crunchy cardboard
Becomes simulated food
Mushy red mess
In your mouth.
Crackling red bag
Full of
Fake ketchup.
Eeewww.
~Currently playing: Kansas-Carry On My Wayward Son; AC/DC-You Shook Me All Night Long; Blink 182-Anthem Part 2 ~
|
That's right, I found the infamous "Un-ode to a Ketchup Chip" poem that I wrote as a mockery and ended up submitting for my first-year (first semester!) creative writing class that week for lack of something better. Creative writing was a struggle for me--I never really understood why and maybe never will, because when I don't have to hand something in for it, I can do it just fine...but for class? Forget it. Anyways, back to the poem. It stems from my hatred, disgust and abhorrence of ketchup and thus ketchup chips. In creative writing class, Leah would sit on one side of me and Robyn would sit on the other. Leah and I had our trademark blue slurpees (that turned our mouths blue!) but each of them also had a bag of ketchup chips. The smell made me want to hurl. They loved it. Every second of it. So one day, we were sitting up in the student lounge, they were eating their disgusting chips, and I wrote the infamous poem. The creative writing class loved it, and was divided on the true merit of said chips. I also found a very cool thing I wrote about the civic arena last year and the beginning of something about a hockey tournament. Below, for your viewing pleasure, is the poem. Oh--and it's called 'un-ode' because an ode is written for something you like.
Un-Ode to a Ketchup Chip
For Robyn, Kat and Rusty
What can I say about you,
Abhorrent ketchup chip?
Simulated flavour.
All it is
Is fake red dust
Coating fingers
And crunchy cardboard
Pieces of preserved[?] potato.
Yuck.
Pungent, pukey aroma
Permeates surrounding space,
Drifts upwards
Forming
A ketchup scented halo.
Gag me.
Crunchy cardboard
Becomes simulated food
Mushy red mess
In your mouth.
Crackling red bag
Full of
Fake ketchup.
Eeewww.
~Currently playing: Kansas-Carry On My Wayward Son; AC/DC-You Shook Me All Night Long; Blink 182-Anthem Part 2 ~
