Monday, May 17
**head wound**
So I'm feeling an odd kinship with Tom Thomson after this weekend. I guess that's what happens when you get nailed in the head with a canoe paddle. Yes, that's what I said. I was nailed in the head with a canoe paddle. A series of twists of fate led to this unsavoury incident. We went out to our cabin on Friday night after the lacrosse game, arriving there at midnight. On Saturday afternoon, my brother talked me into paddling while he fished out of the canoe. So I was paddling along, and I had my sunglasses on top of my head. It wasn't quite bright enough to actually wear them. When, from out of NOWHERE, my paddle twisted strangely in my hand and nailed me in the forehead, driving my sunglasses into the skin. They actually cut me. So now I have this weird little cut in the middle of my forehead and everyone keeps asking me what happened. And thus...Tom Thomson.
Tom Thomson was a Canadian painter (hmm...we're even both artists of a sort...writer and painter) who lived in Algonquin Park in Ontario from 1914 to 1917. Out there, he worked on his art, operated as a guide and became good at canoeing and living in the woods.
Tom Thomson was last seen on July 8, 1917. His canoe was found the next day upside-down, drifting. His body was found in Canoe Lake on July 17, with a strange wound on the forehead and copper fishing line tied around the ankles. The official cause of death was drowning. Thomson's death remains a mystery. His paintings are amazing. Check them out.
I know you know the story
But here's the revisionist version
Tom Thomson was found at the bottom of a northern lake
Fishing wire wrapped around his legs
And a nasty bump on the head
From a canoe paddle, probably
They say it's because he painted paintings that were far too beautiful
Almost subversive
Of a pristine environment, of a pristine landscape
That were gonna incite the people of all manner of things
Yeah let's put 'em down, let's snuff 'em out
--from the live version of "Three Pistols" by the Tragically Hip
~Currently playing: The Darkness-I Believe In A Thing Called Love~
|
Tom Thomson was a Canadian painter (hmm...we're even both artists of a sort...writer and painter) who lived in Algonquin Park in Ontario from 1914 to 1917. Out there, he worked on his art, operated as a guide and became good at canoeing and living in the woods.
Tom Thomson was last seen on July 8, 1917. His canoe was found the next day upside-down, drifting. His body was found in Canoe Lake on July 17, with a strange wound on the forehead and copper fishing line tied around the ankles. The official cause of death was drowning. Thomson's death remains a mystery. His paintings are amazing. Check them out.
I know you know the story
But here's the revisionist version
Tom Thomson was found at the bottom of a northern lake
Fishing wire wrapped around his legs
And a nasty bump on the head
From a canoe paddle, probably
They say it's because he painted paintings that were far too beautiful
Almost subversive
Of a pristine environment, of a pristine landscape
That were gonna incite the people of all manner of things
Yeah let's put 'em down, let's snuff 'em out
--from the live version of "Three Pistols" by the Tragically Hip
~Currently playing: The Darkness-I Believe In A Thing Called Love~
