Sunday, May 2
**greepy**
Ahem. Well. You know you're good when YOUR OWN STORY freaks you out. Yes, that is why I am here, writing on my blog, instead of downstairs working on my story like I was planning on. I started reading the 9 pages I had already written long ago and got freaked out. It was dark. And eerie. And that story just freaks me out for some reason. Incidentally "greepy" is the word I tend to use in place of "creepy"...something Brian, Leah and I invented one time I believe.
Today I finished reading this book by the founder of Adbusters about culture jamming. It was pretty interesting--all that stuff about Buy Nothing Day and TV Turn-off Week...I am so doing that next time it comes around. Buy Nothing Day is in November...watch for it. In some ways, it's kinda crazy, because it seems like none of that stuff would actually work. But it could...it just takes a number of people to get behind it. Anyways, that book was much better than one of the other books I read this past week, called "Where the Girls Are". It turned out to be some kind of feminist ramblings about growing up with the mass media and how the mass media didn't want to talk about feminism or some stupid thing. I can understand feminism to a degree, but I don't think it's really my thing. and a whole like 400 page book? Ugh. Some of it was interesting from a historical/cultural point-of-view...she talked a lot about different music and TV shows. But that was about all of the book I found to be interesting. The other book I read this week was "Misery" by Stephen King. I've read it before, but you know...it doesn't matter how many times you've read a Stephen King book, it never gets old. There's always something new you didn't notice before. "Misery" isn't exactly my favourite Stephen King book, but it's still good. "The Stand" is, in my opinion, by far his best work. But there are a lot of good short stories he's written too.... Good old Stephen King.
In other news, I got a whole bunch of songs by The Darkness and am just blown away by how awesome they are. So many times, the radio single is the only good song by a band...but I haven't heard a song by them yet that I don't like. Same with Jet, but they tend to have some slower songs, which take a certain mood.
And I think that's about it for now.
|
Today I finished reading this book by the founder of Adbusters about culture jamming. It was pretty interesting--all that stuff about Buy Nothing Day and TV Turn-off Week...I am so doing that next time it comes around. Buy Nothing Day is in November...watch for it. In some ways, it's kinda crazy, because it seems like none of that stuff would actually work. But it could...it just takes a number of people to get behind it. Anyways, that book was much better than one of the other books I read this past week, called "Where the Girls Are". It turned out to be some kind of feminist ramblings about growing up with the mass media and how the mass media didn't want to talk about feminism or some stupid thing. I can understand feminism to a degree, but I don't think it's really my thing. and a whole like 400 page book? Ugh. Some of it was interesting from a historical/cultural point-of-view...she talked a lot about different music and TV shows. But that was about all of the book I found to be interesting. The other book I read this week was "Misery" by Stephen King. I've read it before, but you know...it doesn't matter how many times you've read a Stephen King book, it never gets old. There's always something new you didn't notice before. "Misery" isn't exactly my favourite Stephen King book, but it's still good. "The Stand" is, in my opinion, by far his best work. But there are a lot of good short stories he's written too.... Good old Stephen King.
In other news, I got a whole bunch of songs by The Darkness and am just blown away by how awesome they are. So many times, the radio single is the only good song by a band...but I haven't heard a song by them yet that I don't like. Same with Jet, but they tend to have some slower songs, which take a certain mood.
And I think that's about it for now.
