Friday, May 14
And the great poker debate wages onward...I must say I think this is all pretty funny. And so I present to you, the difference between "game" and "sport". And hey...I have no problem with games being on TV...look at jeopardy, it kicks ass. But they don't hype jeopardy as a sport. And so...
sport
Function: noun
(1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
game
Function: noun
(1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement
Now, while I will admit that some sports can be games and some games can be sports, all sports are not games and all games are not sports. Hehehe. For instance: I am going to watch the lacrosse GAME tonight VS I will be watching people play the SPORT of lacrosse tonight.
**Disclaimer**
Ahem...it is...entirely possible...that I **may** have selected certain definitions of each word to use to my own ends and it would be possible for certain people...ie. Jen hehe...to dispute my definitions and find their own definitions, which would in fact suit their own argument. These definitions were taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.
|
sport
Function: noun
(1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
game
Function: noun
(1) : activity engaged in for diversion or amusement
Now, while I will admit that some sports can be games and some games can be sports, all sports are not games and all games are not sports. Hehehe. For instance: I am going to watch the lacrosse GAME tonight VS I will be watching people play the SPORT of lacrosse tonight.
**Disclaimer**
Ahem...it is...entirely possible...that I **may** have selected certain definitions of each word to use to my own ends and it would be possible for certain people...ie. Jen hehe...to dispute my definitions and find their own definitions, which would in fact suit their own argument. These definitions were taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.
